Attorney: Officer who fatally shot Alton Sterling called borderline nuts in internal BRPD email

Attorney: Officer who fatally shot Alton Sterling called \borderline nuts\ in internal BRPD email
Attorneys: BRPD email says former officer accused of killing Alton Sterling was borderline nuts
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) – A trial date has been set for a civil lawsuit case involving the death of Alton Sterling.

On Tuesday, the attorneys representing the children of Alton Sterling provided the update after a status conference hearing.

During the Tuesday morning press conference, family attorneys revealed a copy of an email from a Baton Rouge Police Department training officer, who said former officer Blane Salamoni, accused of killing Sterling, was borderline nuts.

Attorneys said Sgt, Robert Knight, a firearms training officer, sent the email a year before the Sterlings death. Knight was in charge of training Salamoni. In the email, Knight wrote Salamoni was borderline nuts after Salamoni got into a fight with an officer at the firing range.

Attorney L. Chris Stewart, one of the attorneys for Alton Sterling children, said attorneys have been going through documents ahead of the trial.

What we have realized that this was not the act of a rogue cop, this was a systematic failure by the police department,” according to Stewart during the press conference.

We are going to litigate this case until the very end,” said attorney Michael Adams, who represents three of Sterlings children. “What that means is that were going to unearth all of the things the Baton Rouge Police Department over the last few years that show that officer Salamoni was not well-trained. He should have not been a police officer.

Sterlings family announced last year they were filing a lawsuit against the Baton Rouge Police Department.

Sterling, 37, was shot and killed outside the Triple S Food Mart on July 5, 2016 after two officers with the Baton Rouge Police Department responded to a call of a man threatening the caller with a gun outside the store.

A trial date has been set in the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the children of Alton Sterling, a black man killed by a white police officer in Louisianas capital city.

Attorneys for Sterlings children said Tuesday that trial in the civil lawsuit will begin April 20, 2020.

Sterlings family sued the city of Baton Rouge, its police department and former police chief and the two officers involved in the deadly encounter. The June 2017 lawsuit says the shooting fit a pattern of racist behavior and excessive force by police.

Officer Blane Salamoni shot Sterling six times during a July 2016 struggle outside a Baton Rouge convenience store. The Justice Department and Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landrys office ruled out criminal charges. Salamoni was fired by Baton Rouges police chief.


Posted in Baton Rouge