Marshal, police officers kill fugitive outside Fort Lauderdale mosque –

Marshal, police officers kill fugitive outside Fort Lauderdale mosque -
Suspect shot, killed by members of fugitive task force outside mosque
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) – A fugitive on the run from authorities was fatally shot by several law enforcement agencies outside of a mosque near Fort Lauderdale.

7Skyforce HD flew over the scene where several agencies could be seen in the parking lot of the Masjid Al Iman mosque in the area of Northwest 25th Avenue and Franklin Drive, early Friday afternoon.

This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.

Man dead after shooting involving law enforcement outside mosque near Fort Lauderdale

Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies and Fort Lauderdale Police and federal agents responded to the scene just after 11:30 a.m., Friday, to help U.S. Marshals serve a warrant.

The fatal strike – in broad daylight in the middle of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan – left at least one man dead outside the Masjid Al Iman mosque.

“The U.S. Marshals Florida Regional Task Force was involved in zeroing on an attempted murder subject,” said U.S. Marshal Gadyaces Serralta.

THE HEARTBROKEN family of 17-year-old girl who died after a car she was a passenger in smashed into a wall has paid tribute to their beautiful pri…

Officials said the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force spotted a black SUV that was believed to belong to an attempted murder suspect from Osceola County, parked near the mosque.

A news team with 7SkyForce HD flew over the scene where a number of cops could be seen in the car park of the Masjid Al Iman mosque.

Officials said the suspect went to a home in Kissimmee and battered a man, early Thursday morning. He then stabbed a woman with a knife.

Paramedics transported them to a local hospital. The woman was last listed in critical condition, and the man’s condition was unknown.

The shooter launched the attack near Fort Lauderdale, a South Florida beach resort, around 11.30am local time this Friday.

Video: New Details Emerge On Suspect Killed By Law Enforcement Outside Fort Lauderdale Mosque

Investigators said Ould-Rouis drove to the Fort Lauderdale area, and it was outside of the mosque where police and U.S. Marshals confronted him.

On March 15, less than two months ago, a radical anti-Muslim terrorist attack took place at a mosque in New Zealand.

When Marshals approached the suspect, officials said, the suspect pulled out a firearm, and several Marshals opened fire.

“I heard a couple, they were going like, ‘Prrra-pop, pop, pop,” he said. “They were going on, and I don’t know if it was a person or nothing. I didn’t see nobody like that, but I just came out when I started hearing the gunshots.”

Fatal shooting outside mosque near Fort Lauderdale: Report

“He exited the vehicle brandishing a firearm. The task force members opened fire, and the subject, unfortunately, is deceased,” he said.

“We do not believe that the mosque was involved in any way, nor the subject with the mosque,” said Serralta, “but, obviously, those are things that we need to look into, and it’s going to take some time, folks.”

She said her mother called her to alert her about the shooting, so she rushed to the scene. However, authorities did not allow her to enter the area.

Weeks after walking out of jail, Hamid Ould-Rouis dies on the run

“She said my brother had just got shot, so I just came this way,” she said as she fought back tears. “I’m just trying to see what’s going on, I want to know if he’s OK.”

Marshal, officers kill fugitive outside Florida mosque

It remains unclear what connection, if any, Ould-Rouis had with South Florida, what his crime background is and why he chose this specific mosque.

US Marshals shot and killed an attempted murder suspect outside the Masjid Al Iman mosque in Fort Lauderdale Friday morning.

Marshals were looking for Hamid Ould-Rouis, 58, who was wanted by the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office for allegedly assaulting a man and stabbing a woman Thursday in Kissimmee, near Orlando. The woman is in critical condition.

Suspect shot, killed by officers outside Florida mosque | TheHill

In an email to Heavy, the marshals service said its Florida/Caribbean Regional Fugitive Task Force “was involved in an officer-involved shooting resulting in a fatality…”

National Fugitive task force kills suspect outside of Florida mosque Scripps National 12:10 PM, May

The agency said its deputy marshals were “attempting to apprehend a fugitive who was wanted for attempted homicide in Osceola County, Florida” when agents felt threatened by the suspect. Report says he got out of his vehicle with a gun. “…members of the task force fired their weapons, striking the subject.”

The Broward Sheriff's Office is investigating a shooting outside a mosque in Fort Lauderdale, according to a report by WSVN.

From the initial reports from local media, sheriff’s deputies responded to a shots fired call after 11:30 a.m. Friday.

CBS news local affiliate is reporting “there is a dead body next to a car in the parking lot but its not known how the person died.”

Initially, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office was reported to be investigating, but the BSO public information officer told Heavy their agency was “assisting” the US Marshals. In a call to the office of Chief W Delaney of the US Marshal’s public affairs office, Heavy learned the “officer-involved shooting” was being investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The US Marshal Service emailed a statement that read, “The U.S. Marshals Service Florida/Caribbean Regional Fugitive Task Force was involved in an officer-involved shooting resulting in a fatality in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, Friday, May 24. The Marshals were attempting to apprehend a fugitive who was wanted for attempted homicide in Osceola County, Florida.”

Jessica Cary, an FDLE public information officer said that while its “investigation of the law enforcement response to the shooting is active” and they won’t comment on an ongoing investigation, she said, “…once we get to a point in the investigation where we can provide additional information, we will.”

Cary said FDLE will “determine the facts of what happened and a state attorney or prosecutor determines if there are law violations.”

“In response to a threat posed by the subject, members of the task force fired their weapons, striking the subject. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is the lead investigative agency on this incident. The U.S. Marshals Service will also conduct an internal review after the state completes its investigation. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Marshals Service will not release the names of deputy marshals involved in shooting incidents, until the conclusion of all investigations surrounding the incident.”

Few details were provided save that Ould-Rious was wanted in connection with the beating of a man, unnamed, and the near-fatal stabbing of a woman.

Apparently a tip was received that Ould-Rious was in the Fort Lauderdale area and the US Marshals were called in to try to apprehend him.

Ould-Rouis was arrested on March 13 by the Osceloa County Sheriff on felony charges including kidnapping/false imprisonment and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill.

The charging documents in that case describe a violent, vicious and terrifying domestic where Ould-Rious threatened his wife and her friend. He heated a pot of cooking oil to boiling and threatened to burn her and her girlfriend if his wife, with whom he was separated, did not agree to take him back in. He also reportedly used a stun gun on her body and stopped her from trying to get away. The incident was witnessed by his two children.

Police arrested Ould-Rious and charged him with two felonies. But, according to the report, the women declined to prosecute Ould-Rious. After being locked up and making several court appearances, the court files show that a month later, according to felony court minutes, the prosecutors had not made a charging decision and he was released. The case is marked as closed.

The incident took place at the Kareem Cuisine restaurant in Kissimmee. A highly-rated Halal eatery, it “permanently closed” around the same time of the assault in March. It was dubbed a “family-owned” Mediterranean cuisine restaurant. A search of the Florida corporations database is underway for more information.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Marshal for the Southern District of Florida said the suspect wasn’t involved “in any way, nor the subject with the mosque, but those are things we need to look into and its going to take some time…,” the Sun Sentinel reported.

“Masjid al Iman is a unique Masjid that serves the Muslim Community in South Florida for decades. The age of the Masjid goes back to the late seventies where the Masjid at that time used to be known as ‘Masjid Mohammad.”

This masjid is one where people will “meet Muslims from all over the globe and from all different races, ages, colors, nationalities…” according to its Facebook page.

The Miami Herald reported that a spokesman for the Florida chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations the suspect, who has not been named by authorities, is “not involved with the community.”

Posted in Fort Lauderdale