Deadly Child Abuse Trial Continues Friday, Medical Examiner to Testify on Girls Deadly Injuries

Deadly Child Abuse Trial Continues Friday, Medical Examiner to Testify on Girl\s Deadly Injuries
Testimony continues in 4-year-old Grand Prairie girls murder trial
DALLAS – The mother of a beaten 4-year-old Grand Prairie girl said her memory of what happened the day she died is limited.

Jeri Quezada took the stand again Thursday in the capital murder trial for her ex-boyfriend, Charles Phifer.

News Corp is a network of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information services.

Quezada said Phifer was babysitting her daughter, Leiliana Wright, two years ago. She came home to find her beaten and tied up in a closet.

Under cross-examination Thursday, Quezada said she cannot remember much of what she told detectives after her daughter’s death, including whether or not she hit Leiliana in the chest for drinking her little brother’s juice.

Quezada pleaded guilty to injury to a child charges last year and is currently serving a 50-year prison sentence. As part of her plea deal, she promised truthful testimony during Phifer’s trial.

Quezada’s mother, Adeline Carr, is a retired Grand Prairie Swim Coach and the grandmother of Leiliana. She did not answer questions as she left the courtroom.

Carr showed no emotion during her testimony. During cross-examination, she claimed not to be aware of her daughter’s ongoing drug abuse, including the day of Leiliana’s death. But she also acknowledged knowing her daughter could be deceitful.

Sgt. Brad Makovy said Quezada was forthcoming and emotional when she saw autopsy photos. But before her arrest, he testified that Quezada had a different attitude.

“Toward the end, she said ‘F it. I’m done.’ And walked out,” he testified.

According to a state report obtained in 2017 by FOX 4, CPS had opened investigations involving Leiliana and her mother in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Her paternal grandparents had fought to in court obtain custody of the little girl. But in the end, they agreed to visitation rights.

In addition to claiming she did not see any signs of her daughter’s drug use, Carr also said she never saw signs of abuse against her granddaughter. She told jurors Leiliana loved to color, play with chalk and read stories.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Testimony will resume Friday morning in the trial of a man accused of beating his girlfriend’s 4-year-old daughter to death.

Charles Wayne Phifer, 36, is charged with capital murder and is facing a possible life prison sentence without the possibility of parole in the beating death of Leiliana Wright.

Her paternal grandparents had reported suspicions of abuse months earlier after noticing bruising, but nothing was done.

By the time paramedics arrived at the family’s Grand Prairie home in March of 2016, it was too late to save Leiliana from the people who should have been protecting her.

Her mother, Jeri Quezada, pleaded guilty to felony injury to a child charges last year. She is awaiting sentencing.

“If I testify truthfully, then I will be sentenced to 50 years in prison,” Quezada told jurors Thursday while dressed in a jail inmate jumpsuit.

She told jurors she and Phifer used heroin on the night that Leiliana was fatally beaten. Later, her mother, Adeline Carr, would tell jurors she had no knowledge of her daughter’s drug use and angrily told reporters to “get out of her face” when asked if she was aware of the abuse.

Earlier, Carr showed no emotion as she spoke about the 4-year-old beaten to death in her own home… a death in which investigators said her mother is at best complicit in protecting her abuser.

Grand Prairie Police Sgt. Brad Makovy shared with jurors a portion is his interview with Quezada concerning her treatment of Leiliana, including “how she would lose her temper and take things out on her. Talked about slapping her in the face, she had mentioned later on that she had even kicked her on several occasions as a form of discipline.”

“She was severely beaten,” testified Samantha Chandler, a civilian investigator with Grand Prairie Police. Her life was marked by violence and the massive failure of those tasked with keeping her safe: CPS, her mother and the man she moved into their home.

Sgt. Makovy also testified, “That’s when she explains how Charles grabs her by the throat, picks her up, pushes her into the wall and begins to admonish her about throwing up, then throws her into the closet and closes the door.

According to testimony from both Quezada and Carr, the family went out to dinner and left Phifer at home to watch Leiliana. Quezada returned home and testified that she and Phifer used heroin before she inquired about her daughter.

According to police testimony, that’s when Phifer told her “that the child had been hung in the closet.”

Posted in Grand Prairie