Man faces charges after climbing cellphone tower in Hialeah

Man faces charges after climbing cellphone tower in Hialeah
Man in custody after climbing down Hialeah cellphone tower following 6-hour standoff
HIALEAH, FLA. (WSVN) – A man who climbed to the top of a cellphone tower in Hialeah was taken into custody after a six-hour standoff with police.

Just before 3 p.m., Friday, the man began his descent from the tower without any safety equipment. About 15 minutes later he was inside the basket of a Miami-Dade Fire Rescue ladder truck, which lowered him to the ground alongside several firefighters.

He was then put on a stretcher and placed into the back of a waiting ambulance to be checked out and later transported.

“We want to first thank Miami-Dade County Police, Miami-Dade County Fire, Hialeah Fire, our officers, our members of our negotiation team that worked for hours speaking with this man to finally bring this to a peaceful resolution,” said Hialeah Police Sgt. Eddie Rodriguez.

The family of the man told 7News that he was was not well mentally, and they have no idea why he climbed the tower. They identified him as 58-year-old Pablo Torres,

Hialeah Police responded to the tower next to the Milander Center, near Palm Avenue and 45th Street, Friday, as Torres started his ascent, at around 10 in the morning.

Torres appeared to have some equipment, including a rope and something in a yellow bag. At times he was seen on the phone talking with crisis negotiators and his mother.

Family members on the ground said they were concerned for the man’s well-being. They said he was fine when they spoke to him in the morning, and he seemed OK.

However, at around 10 a.m., they went to the home where he lives with his mother, and he wasn’t there. Afterward, they got the call from police notifying them as to what was going on.

Police began to move in to climb the tower about five minutes before 3 p.m. The man then began climbing down.

Torres was arrested and charged with burglary and resisting an officer without violence after he was released from the hospital. He is being held on a $6,000 bond but is expected to bail out sometime on Saturday.

After almost six hours, a man who climbed to the top of a cellphone tower in Hialeah at around 10 a.m. and is finally down. Rescue crews loaded the man into a lift alongside the structure.

The family of the man identified him as 58-year-old Pablo Torres, and told WSVN that he had mental health issues.

Relatives are unsure why he pulled this frightening stunt. His mother, with whom he lives, tried to talk him down, but that only made him go higher, the station added.

Wearing a T-shirt and slacks, Torres was seen carrying a cellphone and was alternating between seeming calm and screaming down at people on the ground. He appeared to be in no hurry to get down, lying down on the top and covering his face with his shirt. For a while, he was lying on a level surface at the top, possibly asleep.

No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you'll never miss a local story.

The tower is located at West Palm Avenue and 45th Place. Motorists are warned to stay away from the area.

Posted in Hialeah