Honolulu firefighters respond to Waikiki high-rise fire

Honolulu firefighters respond to Waikiki high-rise fire
Microwave fire causes $320,000 in damages at Waikiki Banyan
WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) – Late Friday night, the Honolulu Fire Department responded to a fire at a high-rise in Waikiki.

The fire happened around 10:50 p.m. Some 22 personnel responded to the 38-story Waikiki Baynan complex, located at 201 Ohua Avenue.

HFD located the flames on the 30th floor, established a water supply and had the fire extinguished just before 11:30 p.m.

It was reported that one adult male and female were alerted to the fire by an audible pop and the activation of a smoke alarm. They safely escaped the unit without injuries, HFD said in a news released. Another adult male was not in the unit at the time of the fire.”

Fire investigators later deemed the fire accidental. They said it was sparked by an electrical electrical failure in the microwave.

The HFD would like to encourage our visitors and residents to discuss and practice their fire evacuation plans. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere, officials added.

Honolulu firefighters determined a microwave failure sparked a high-rise building fire Friday evening, causing an estimated $320,000 in damages.

About 22 Honolulu firefighters responded to the scene and the automatic fire sprinklers extinguished the fire by 11:32 p.m.

Honolulu firefighters determined a microwave failure sparked a high-rise building fire Friday evening, causing an estimated $320,000 in damages.

The fire started at about 10:51 p.m. at Waikiki Banyan, 201 Ohua Ave., and responding firefighters discovered no visible signs of smoke or fire on the outside of the 38-story building.

About 22 firefighters responded to the scene and the automatic fire sprinklers extinguished the fire by 11:32 p.m.

Honolulu Fire Department investigators determined the fire was accidentally caused by an electrical failure of a microwave inside a unit on the 30th floor. Two occupants were reportedly in the unit at the time. They escaped safely without injuries.

“The HFD would like to encourage our visitors and residents to discuss and practice their fire evacuation plans,” fire captain Scot Seguirant said in an email. “Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere.”


Posted in Honolulu