A Facebook post by Bakers brother indicates that Oliver Chum Baker was bitten by a copperhead snake on Saturday at a family home on Smith Lake. A spokesperson for Regional Paramedical Services in Winston County confirms that information.
My brother Chum Baker was bitten by a copper head tonight at our lake house. Was unconscious within 2 minutes. I did…
A Tuscaloosa husband, father, son and brother died Monday, three days after he was bitten by a copperhead snake at the familys Smith Lake home.
Oliver Chum Baker, 52, was pronounced dead at a Huntsville hospital. He leaves behind a large, close-knit family including his wife, Marilou Briney Baker, and sons Charlie, who just graduated from high school, and 12-year-old Walden. Baker grew up in the Birmingham area.
The family had gathered at the lake home for the long holiday weekend. Baker was outside on the stone patio walking his new lab puppy when he alerted family members that he had been bitten by a copperhead. The snake was still coiled up outside the back door.
Within minutes, Baker fell unconscious. A relative gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation until paramedics arrived. They drove to a nearby school so that he could be airlifted to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, but he was not stable enough to fly.
The paramedics then took him by ambulance to a Jasper hospital, and eventually he was airlifted to Huntsville. Family said Baker suffered a severe allergic reaction to the snakes venom which caused anaphylactic shock and ultimately cardiac arrest. Baker never regained consciousness.
Baker was the youngest son of retired Birmingham radiologist Dr. Charlie Baker and his wife, Pat. He worked water quality control for the City of Northport.
He would go way out of his way to help everybody. He never wanted accolades, his brother said. Everybody loved him. Its just unbelievable.