Funeral set for teen fatally stabbed in Oceanside – Newsday

Funeral set for teen fatally stabbed in Oceanside - Newsday
Teen Charged In Fatal Stabbing Of Student That Dozens Filmed, Shared On Social Media
It appears that you are trying to access our website from a location in the European Union, which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Unfortunately, because of this regulation we cannot provide access at this time. We appreciate your understanding.

The Lido Beach teen who is accused of fatally stabbing an Oceanside high school student was ordered Thursday held without bail. Police say Tyler Flach stabbed 16-year-old Khaseen Morris Monday outside of a pizza parlor on Brower Avenue in Oceanside. Police say the brawl was over a girl.

Police say Khaseen, a senior at Oceanside High School who moved to the community this summer, was warned that he "had to be" present at the fight. When he arrived, a group of six or seven teens attacked him and he was stabbed in the chest, police say. Another teen was hospitalized with swelling to his head and a broken arm. "Kids stood here and didn't help Khaseen," Nassau County Det. Lt. Stephen Fitzpatrick said earlier this week. "They'd rather video. They videoed his death instead of helping him." He said police are trying to identify other suspects involved in the attack. "I don't know what to make of it, my generation vs. this generation," he said, per NPR. "This can't go on. Your friends are dying while you stand there and video it. That's egregious." (Read more Long Island stories.)  

Lido Beach teen ordered held without bail in fatal Oceanside stabbing

According to prosecutors, Flach pierced Morris heart when he stabbed him. Flach is charged with second-degree murder. Police say Flach had been previously charged just this month with criminal possession of a controlled substance, and on May 23 for third-degree assault related to a road rage incident. A vigil was held for Morris Wednesday night. His sister, Keyanna Morris, says the trouble began when Khaseen Morris walked a girl home.

Video: Arrest Made In Teens Stabbing Death

MORE: Candlelight vigil held for teen fatally stabbed in fightPolice: Oceanside teen stabbed in brawl as dozens watched, recorded incident

This is a horrific tragedy for Khaseens family, for the Oceanside community. Again, we cant sit idly by as 16-year-olds expire and bleed out on our streets here in Nassau County, so please give us the information so we can continue the investigation and insure that justice is done, Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas added.

She says from what shes heard, the girls former boyfriend started the fight with her brother. Police say Flach hung out with the former boyfriend. News 12 is told Flach is seen in cellphone video of the brawl not wearing a shirt. News 12 is told one other teen was also hurt in the fight. Police say there are at least seven other suspects wanted in connection with the fight that led to Morris death. Officials say the Oceanside School District, the Long Beach School District and the Freeport School District have stepped up security in light of the brawl.

Hundreds of candles have been placed at the scene of the attack, but along with the mourning there has been anger. Many of the victims relatives were in court when Flach pleaded not guilty. He was then placed in protective custody after his lawyer suggested Morris had gang ties, CBS2s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

Flach faces 25 years to life if convicted. He is being held without bail. Flachs defense attorney requested he be kept in protective custody, saying there is evidence on social media of alleged gang activity. The judge granted the request.

A Nassau Police spokesperson also said there is no evidence of any gang affiliation with anyone involved in this incident.

The fight appears to have started over a girl, police said. Flach is a friend of the girls former boyfriend. and Morris was a friend of the girl, though not her boyfriend, investigators said.

The district attorney is urging anyone with information to come forward. Morris funeral will be held Saturday, Sept. 28 at the Towers Funeral Home in Oceanside.

“Tyler strongly maintains his innocence and took the responsible step of self-surrendering to eventually clear his name,” his attorney, Edward Sapone, said. “At the appropriate time, we will release vital information about what happened thats not captured on video and that completely changes this case. Until then, we ask the community to reserve on judgment and pray for those who are suffering.”

Posted in Oceanside