PITTSBURGH (KDKA/CBS) — The Pittsburgh Department of Public Safety says there will be increased patrols at local mosques in response to the shootings in New Zealand.
At least 49 people were killed and more were injured. One person has been arrested and charged with murder.
Pittsburgh Public Safety officials say they have been in contact with local Islamic leaders in response to the attack and will be increasing patrols at mosques and other locales.
“The City of Pittsburgh will protect all houses of worship and the right to freely and safely practice your religion without fear,” Public Safety said in a release.
Public Safety says the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police’s Intel Unit will continue to monitor all threats to all city residents and visitors, and work closely with law enforcement agencies at local, state and federal levels.
“Today we stand with the people of Christchurch, New Zealand. We offer our deepest condolences. And we will continue to stand united against all forms of hate,” Public Safety said in a release.
Where to Donate to Help the Victims of the Christchurch Shootings
Mayor Bill Peduto offered his condolences to Lianne Dalziel, the mayor of Christchurch, on Friday morning.
Law enforcement officials in other cities across the country, including New York and Los Angeles, have also said they are increasing security forces at mosques in response to the shooting.
What a classic example of a “knee-Jerk” reaction! But it makes the official city “minions” happy, and feeling better about themselves. My question is…How much more will this cost the taxpayer, for such a small percentage of the populace to feel “safer?”?
Though he claimed not to covet fame, the gunman — whose name was not immediately released by police — left behind a 74-page document posted on social media under the name Brenton Tarrant in which he said he hoped to survive the attack to better spread his views in the media.
Video: Mosque shooting leaves New Zealand shocked, saddened
Forty-nine people were killed in shootings at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday, in a terrorist attack that Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described as an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.
• Officials said that one man in his late 20s had been charged with murder, and that two explosive devices were found attached to a vehicle that they had stopped.
Jacinda Ardern condemns Christchurch mosque shootings – video | World news
• A Muslim leader in New Zealand said the attack was especially shocking as it took place around Friday Prayer. The police urged people to stay away from the mosques until further notice.
• A gunman streamed a live video of the attack on Facebook, and he appeared to have posted a manifesto online.
Shots were fired at Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue in the center of the city and at Linwood Mosque, about three miles away, the police said.
The countrys police commissioner, Mike Bush, said in an evening news conference that 41 people had been killed at Al Noor Mosque and seven at Linwood Mosque, and that another victim had died at Christchurch Hospital.
Local Muslim leaders stunned by carnage in New Zealand
David Meates, the chief executive of the Canterbury District Health Board, said that 48 people, including young children, were being treated for injuries at the hospital. He said the injuries included gunshot wounds and ranged from critical to minor.
The police said that four people, including three men and one woman, had been taken into custody. Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia said that one of them was Australian.
New Zealand mosque shooter is a white supremacist angry at immigrants, documents and video reveal
Mr. Bush said that a man in his late 20s had been charged with murder and would appear in Christchurch court on Saturday morning. A number of firearms were recovered from the scenes of the shootings, he said.
Of the three others who were detained, the police commissioner said that one might have had nothing to do with the attack and that the police were working to determine how the other two might have been involved.
My warmest sympathy and best wishes goes out to the people of New Zealand after the horrible massacre in the Mosques. 49 innocent people have so senselessly died, with so many more seriously injured. The U.S. stands by New Zealand for anything we can do. God bless all!
Two explosive devices were found on one vehicle, Mr. Bush said, adding that the police had defused one and were in the process of defusing the other.
Mr. Bush had earlier urged people not to go to mosques anywhere in New Zealand on Friday. He also urged mosques nationally to close your doors until you hear from us again.
Brownlee, who said he lives a short distance from one of the shooting sites, said, “Almost everyone will know someone or have a connection with the families of someone who has been either killed or seriously wounded today.”
The clip, which may have been taken from a helmet camera worn by a gunman, begins behind the wheel of a car. A man, whose face can occasionally be seen in the rearview mirror, drives through the streets of Christchurch before pulling up in front of Al Noor Mosque, beside the sprawling Hagley Park.
A live video posted to social media appeared to show the attack at Al Noor Mosque, where 41 people were killed. The clip appeared to have been taken from a camera worn by a gunman.
Arden made reference to the nationalities of the victims, saying, “Many of those directly involved might be immigrants, refugees who chose to be here. They are us. The person who has done this, is not.”
UK Muslim leaders urge protection for mosques after Christchurch
He approaches the mosque on foot, his weapon visible, and begins shooting at people at the entrance. What follows is a harrowing nearly two minutes of his firing on worshipers.
A shooter also opened fire in the surrounding area outside of the mosques. Police said they recovered two improvised explosive devices attached to vehicles in the area, but they were rendered safe.
At one point the gunman exits the mosque and fires in both directions down the sidewalk before returning to his car for another gun — which, like the others, was inscribed with numbers, symbols or messages. When he re-enters the mosque, he shoots several bodies at close range.
There wasnt even time to aim, there was so many targets, he says at one point, as the sirens of an emergency response vehicle blare in the background.
New Zealand shooting: Trump tweets warmest sympathy and best wishes
Before the shooting, someone appearing to be the gunman posted links to a white nationalist manifesto on Twitter and 8chan, an online forum known for extremist right-wing discussions. The 8chan post included a link to what appeared to be the gunmans Facebook page, where he said he would also broadcast live video of the attack.
The Twitter posts showed weapons covered in the names of past military generals and men who have recently carried out mass shootings.
In his manifesto, he identified himself as a 28-year-old man born in Australia and listed his white nationalist heroes.
A page was also set up by the New Zealand Council of Victim Support Groups on New Zealands crowd funding site Give A Little, but likely because of the traffic for Christchurch, the site is experiencing technical issues:
Video: Two Malaysians injured in Christchurch mosque shootings
Writing that he had purposely used guns to stir discord in the United States over the Second Amendments provision on the right to bear arms, he also declared himself a fascist. For once, the person that will be called a fascist, is an actual fascist, he wrote.
This is to offer a simple help from the community around New Zealand to support the affected families. It is a very tragic situation in Christchurch. Many of our beloved brothers and sisters were martyred.
Video: Footage shows aftermath of mosque shooting in Christchurch
I feel absolutely sickened having my name uttered by this person, Mr. Kjellberg, a Swede, said on Twitter.
Video: Footage shows aftermath of mosque shooting in Christchurch
Over the last 18 months, tech companies have promised stronger safeguards to ensure that violent content is not distributed through their sites. But those new safeguards were not enough to stop the posting of a video and manifesto believed related to Fridays shooting.
Video: Footage shows aftermath of mosque shooting in Christchurch
A 17-minute video that included graphic footage apparently of the shooting could be found on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram more than an hour after being posted. While Facebook and Twitter took down pages thought to be linked to the gunman, the posted content was spread rapidly through other accounts.
Video of arrest just after New Zealand mosque shootings appears to show how a suspect was caught by police
In order to evade detection, people appeared to be cropping the video or posting the text of the manifesto as an image — techniques used to evade automated systems that find and delete content.
Social media companies have heavily invested in those systems, with Facebook reporting last year that more than 99 percent of terrorism content by the Islamic State and Al Qaeda was found and removed through artificial intelligence.
A Facebook spokeswoman offered condolences to the victims and said the company was removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter or shooters as soon as were aware.
That manifesto might be bullshit. There hasnt been conclusive proof yet that whoever posted it is actually connected to the horrible crimes in Christchurch. Conservatives and supporters of Trump and Owens are already downplaying the manifesto, saying its clearly a disingenuous attempt to further divide people and encourage the race war thats mentioned elsewhere throughout its dozens of pages. Even if that was the intent of whoever wrote this manifesto, youd have to be ignorant of Trumps years of blatant racism and Owens tweets about declining European birth rights to believe they couldnt possibly ever influence Islamophobia. Again, though, the manifesto hasnt been definitively linked to any of the shooters (assuming there are more than one of them).
YouTube said it had taken down thousands of videos related to the shooting, and asked users to help flag videos. A spokeswoman for Reddit said it was also trying to remove any content containing links to the video stream or the manifesto.
Still, the tech companies were sharply criticized by Senator Cory Booker, a Democratic candidate for president, who said in New Hampshire on Friday that it was unacceptable for the companies to give a platform to hate.
It should have never happened, he said. And it should have been taken down a lot more swiftly. The mechanisms should be in place to allow these companies to do that.
Nasreen Hanif, a spokeswoman for the Islamic Womens Council of New Zealand, said that little news was coming through about whether friends and relatives in Christchurch were safe, and that the countrys Muslims were anxious for updates.
Nobodys answering their phones, she said. We dont know if theyre at the hospital or out of reach. Some have posted that they are safe, but others have not.
[For Muslims in New Zealand and abroad, the massacre has drawn outrage as a brazen act of hatred borne of anti-Muslim sentiment.]
Ms. Hanif said the two mosques in Christchurch had asked for help from the rest of New Zealands Muslims to arrange the 49 funerals they would need to plan.
Far-right ideology detailed in Christchurch shooting manifesto
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey said that three Turkish citizens were wounded in the attack; the Palestine Liberation Organizations ambassador to New Zealand said at least one Palestinian was killed; and the group Syrian Solidarity New Zealand said on its Facebook page that Syrian refugees, including children, have been shot today.
A site managed by the International Committee of the Red Cross listed dozens of people who had been recorded as missing, including people from Egypt, Syria, India, Kuwait, Jordan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Somalia.
Senator Fraser Anning, a member of the conservative Katters Australian Party, has drawn condemnation at home and abroad for linking the attack to Muslim immigration.
Rebukes quickly followed from the highest levels of government in Australia and abroad. The remarks by Senator Fraser Anning blaming the murderous attacks by a violent, right-wing, extremist terrorist in New Zealand on immigration are disgusting, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Twitter. Those views have no place in Australia, let alone the Australian Parliament.
Sajid Javid, the British home secretary, said that Mr. Anning had fanned the flames of violence & extremism. Australians will be utterly ashamed of this racist man.
Presidents, prime ministers, and Muslim leaders offer their support after 49 killed in New Zealand mosque shootings
Mr. Anning drew similar opprobrium last year for invoking a Nazi euphemism during a speech in Parliament, calling for a final solution to the immigration problem.
5 things to know for March 15: New Zealand attacks, N Korea, Brexit, climate protests
What has happened here is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence, the prime minister said at a news conference in New Plymouth, describing the shooting as an act that has absolutely no place in New Zealand.
Many of those affected may be migrants to New Zealand — they may even be refugees here, Ms. Ardern said of the victims. They are one of us. The person who has perpetrated these acts is not.
This is one of New Zealands darkest days: Prime Minister responds to Christchurch mass shooting
Ibrar Sheikh, the secretary of the Al Mustafa Jamia Masjid in south Auckland, described the two mosques targeted in Christchurch as a United Nations of ethnicities.
49 people killed, at least 48 wounded in shootings at New Zealand mosques
Queen Elizabeth II of Britain sent her condolences to New Zealand, which is a member of the Commonwealth. At this tragic time, my thoughts and prayers are with all New Zealanders, she said in a statement released on Friday.
I was the last guy to come out of the mosque: Survivors describe horrific attack in New Zealand
The White House also conveyed its condolences in a statement from President Trumps press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders. The United States strongly condemns the attack in Christchurch, she said.
Members of the Bangladesh national cricket team, in Christchurch for a match against New Zealand, were on their way to Al Noor Mosque for Friday Prayer when the shooting began. They narrowly missed it.
Australian PM Scott Morrison Condemns Extremist, Right-Wing, Violent Terrorist in Christchurch Massacre
Mohammad Isam, a journalist covering the team, reported for ESPN that at 1:52 p.m. he got a call from Tamim Iqbal Khan, one of the players.
Finsbury Park mosque worshippers shocked by New Zealand terror attack
Theres shooting here, please save us, Mr. Khan said, according to Mr. Isam. At first, he thought it was a prank.
But he hangs up and calls again — this time, his voice starts to crack, Mr. Isam wrote. He says that I should call the police as theres a shooting going on inside the mosque where they are about to enter.
Mr. Isam ran toward the mosque and saw bloodied and dazed people fleeing. In the chaos, he managed to find several players, and they eventually reconvened at the hotel. The team manager, Khaled Mashud, told reporters that players were about 50 yards from the mosque.
Had we reached even three or four minutes earlier, we probably would have been inside the mosque, he said.
Rampage in New Zealand
Entire team got saved from active shooters, Mr. Khan wrote on Twitter. Another player, Mushfiqur Rahim, tweeted that he never wanted to see this things happen again.
Aman Singh, who works at a convenience store close to the Deans Avenue mosque, said he had heard the gunshots on Friday afternoon, and that shortly afterward people streamed past the shop, bloody and crying.
The Latest: Iranian minister says bigotry led to attack
My really good friend goes there, he said, adding that he had not been able to confirm the friends whereabouts on Friday afternoon.
He said they would be unlikely to be able to return home soon, as their street was cordoned off because it was close to the Linwood Mosque that was also attacked.
Murders are rare in New Zealand, and gun homicides even rarer. There were 35 murders countrywide in 2017. And since 2007, gun homicides have been in the single digits each year except 2009, when there were 11.
There were 1.2 million registered firearms in the country of 4.6 million people in 2017, according to the Small Arms Survey, a Swiss nonprofit.
New Zealand law allows any person aged 16 or older with an entry-level firearm license to keep any number of common rifles and shotguns, according to GunPolicy.org, a project hosted by the University of Sydney. Most guns can be purchased without being tracked by law enforcement officials.
New Zealand is almost alone with the United States in not registering 96 percent of its firearms said Philip Alpers of GunPolicy.org. There are huge gaps in New Zealand law even if some of its laws are strong.
It remains unclear what weapons were used in the Christchurch attack, or how and where they were acquired.
A mass shooting in Aramoana, New Zealand, in 1990 — when a man killed 13 people, including two 6-year-olds, after a dispute with his neighbor — led directly to tightened gun laws, including restrictions on military-style semiautomatic weapons.
Pewdiepie Sickened That NZ Gunman Yelled Subscribe to Pewdiepie
Mr. Alpers said that semiautomatic weapons, for instance, require a special license, and can be bought only one at a time.
Reporting was contributed by Charlotte Graham-McLay from Wellington, New Zealand; Megan Specia and Jason Bailey from New York; Daniel Victor and Tiffany May from Hong Kong; Damien Cave from Sydney, Australia; and Sheera Frenkel from San Francisco.