In a statement to Pittsburgh media that was made early Wednesday afternoon, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala had said that his office was going to look into the sexual assault allegations that had been made against Brown. However, it appears there was some serious confusion from the DAs office, because Zappala is now backtracking on his original comments.
In a new statement, the district attorneys office said he wasnt talking about the sexual assault allegations when he mentioned that he would look into the charges.
“The incident that DA Zappala referenced earlier today involving Northern Regional Police Department contacting our office concerning Antonio Brown did not involve the incident mentioned in the federal lawsuit that has been filed,” the statement said, via WTAE in Pittsburgh. “That contact instead involved a conversation that our office had with N. Reg. PD concerning a possible child endangerment situation involving Mr. Brown. The result of that conversation was a decision that we could not move forward with investigating that claim.”
Tim Benz: Accusations against Antonio Brown test moral compasses
The reason Zappala was even commenting on the case at all is because one of the alleged assaults took place in Pennsylvania.
If Zappala does decide to look into Browns case, that would just be standard procedure, according to the DAs office.
“This office, as a matter of course, will review information in a federal lawsuit whenever that information references potential criminal activity, even if that activity had not been previously known to law enforcement,” the DAs office said in a statement to KDKA in Pittsburgh. “Another example of this would be a federal civil rights lawsuit filed against a police officer or department alleging behavior on the part of the officer or the department that was not previously known.”
In the lawsuit, Brown is accused of sexually assaulting a female acquaintance, Britney Taylor, on three separate occasions between June 2017 and May 2018. Of the three accusations, two of them allegedly took place in Florida and one took place in Pennsylvania.
The incident in Pennsylvania allegedly took place at Browns home in June 2017. Here are the details of the alleged incident as described in the lawsuit:
“[Taylor] was getting dressed in an upstairs bathroom when Brown walked in with his penis exposed. She immediately covered her eyes with her hands and walked out of the bathroom. Brown then grabbed and kissed her without her consent. Ms. Taylor pushed him away and immediately left the room. Browns actions made Ms. Taylor extremely uncomfortable. She was in a long-term and serious relationship with another man and had no interest in a sexual relationship with Brown.”
Although Browns legal team has admitted that the two had a sexual relationship, his camp maintains that everything was consensual between Brown and Taylor.
The NFL is currently investigating the situation, and for now, the Patriots receiver is allowed to practice and play in games while that investigation is going on. However, the league could eventually place Brown on the commissioners exempt list, which would basically put him on paid leave and keep him from playing until the investigation is complete.
John Breech has been at CBS Sports since July 2011 and currently spends most of his time writing about the NFL. Hes believed to be one of only three people in the world who thinks that Andy Dalton will… Full Bio
New England Patriots wide receiver Antonio Brown stands accused of raping his former trainer in a lawsuit filed Tuesday in a federal court in Florida.
The New York Times first reported the lawsuit which accuses Brown of three separate incidents of sexual assault and rape against Britney Taylor, a gymnast he met while attending Central Michigan and later hired as his trainer.
Honestly, they should do what they didn’t do with Roethlisberger. Let the court proceedings play out before they suspend him. At least, in the absence of anything but he said-she said accusations, they should do a more legitimate investigation into Brown’s case than they did in Roethlisberger’s before making a decision.
The Patriots responded to the lawsuit Tuesday evening in a statement, noting that the NFL is looking into the allegations.
We are aware of the civil lawsuit that was filed earlier today against Antonio Brown, as well as the response by Antonios representatives, the Patriots statement reads. We take these allegations very seriously. Under no circumstance does this organization condone sexual violence or assault.
For some in that region, the concept of “innocent until proven guilty” didn’t seem to matter when it came to Roethlisberger. For many of that same segment of the population, “innocent until proven guilty” sure did matter about the PSI of footballs, though.
The league has informed us that they will be investigating. We will have no further comment while that investigation takes place.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
Brown is accused of exposing himself to Taylor and kissing her without consent during a training visit in his Pittsburgh home in the first incident.
In the second incident, he allegedly masturbated behind her while the two were watching a church service on her iPad in his Miami home and ejaculated on her back.
The suit claims that Brown bragged about that incident in profane text messages that were included in the lawsuit.
She cut off contact with Brown after the 2017 incidents, but agreed to train him again after he assured her the sexual advances would stop, according to the lawsuit.
On May 20, 2018, the lawsuit alleges that Brown pushed Taylor face first into a mattress and forcibly raped her in his Miami home after a night out with friends. She screamed no and stop, but Brown ignored her pleas and penetrated her, according to the lawsuit.
As a rape victim of Antonio Brown, deciding to speak out has been an incredibly difficult decision, Taylor said in the statement. I have found strength in my faith, my family, and from the accounts of other survivors of sexual assault.
She seeks compensatory and punitive damages for the significant harm Brown caused by this brutal and sadistic misconduct.
Unfortunately for Twitter, past precedent for the league on punishment for off-field situations is too scattered to keep straight. And for a global outlet, Twitter is as provincial as you can get.
Mr. Brown denies each and every allegation in the lawsuit, the statement from Darren Heitner reads. He will pursue all legal remedies to not only clear his name, but to also protect other professional athletes against false accusations.
The statement claims that any sexual interaction with Mr. Brown was entirely consensual and that Brown had declined an invitation to invest $1.6 million in the accusers business project.
Mr. Brown, whose hard work and dedication to his craft has allowed him to rise to the top of his profession, refuses to be the victim of what he believes to be a money grab, the statement reads.
Brown agreed to join the Patriots over the weekend after his release from the Oakland Raiders following a tumultuous offseason that resulted in his never playing with the team. He joined the Raiders in the offseason via trade with the Pittsburgh Steelers after a turbulent breakup with the team he has played his entire NFL career with.
Brown has yet to play for the Patriots, who opened their season Sunday night with a victory over the Steelers. The seven-time Pro Bowler signed a one-year, $15 million deal with New England that reportedly came with a $20 million team option for 2020.