Bloody nine hours in St. Paul leaves three dead and police stretched – Minnesota Public Radio News

Bloody nine hours in St. Paul leaves three dead and police stretched - Minnesota Public Radio News
St. Paul tallies third homicide in 8-hour span, including a good Samaritan
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – St. Paul police are investigating after three people died in separate shootings in a span of nine hours.

The first shooting happened Monday afternoon on the city’s north end, near the intersection of Rice Street and Winnipeg Avenue.

An 18-year-old man, who was walking on the sidewalk, was struck by gunfire. Responding officers found him with grave wounds in a nearby grocery store, where he died shortly after.

Regional Radar Major traffic delays Tuesday morning due to lane restrictions on I-35 near the Forest Lake split

The second homicide happened around 10 p.m. in the Payne Phalen neighborhood, at the scene of a four-car crash.

18-Year-Old Man Dead In St. Paul Shooting, Citys 3rd Homicide In A Week

Around midnight, two men showed up at Regions Hospital with gunshot wounds. Their car had several bullet holes.

“Our officers rendered aid and immediately called for St. Paul fire medics. They responded and, unfortunately, there was nothing they could do to save the man’s life. He died inside the store,” said Steve Linders, with St. Paul police.

St. Paul Police Chief Todd Axtell wrote on Facebook that he’s called a meeting with his executive team and will announce his plan to find those responsible for the violence on Tuesday.

Police say they’re hoping surveillance cameras in the area will give them a clear picture of how the shooting happened. They’re also hoping witnesses come forward with information that can help them find the shooter.

“Last night was one of the most violent nights I have witnessed in my career,” Axtell wrote. “Three lives were lost, three families will never be the same and our community is waking to uncertainty and fear. Please know that the women and men of the [St. Paul Police Department] are working tirelessly to apprehend anyone involved in this violence. Please pray for the victims, our community and our staff who are exhausted from working extraodinary (sic) hours.”

Video: St. Paul police investigating homicide outside store

Homicide investigation underway after a man is shot and killed on Rice Street

Following the three recent shootings, the city’s homicide count for the year has climbed to 19.

“It’s sad that one person lost their life. We’re lucky, we’re fortunate that more people weren’t injured or killed,” Linders said.

A good Samaritan went to help people in a car crash Monday night in St. Paul and lost his life, police said.

Rice Street, a busy thoroughfare through St. Paul’s north end, was shut down near Winnipeg Avenue Monday afternoon as police investigated the shooting.

3 fatally shot in St. Paul in separate incidents over 12 hours

Officers detained the 27-year-old St. Paul driver, who police said shot the 31-year-old man in the head.

“It has been a tragic week in St. Paul,” Police Chief Todd Axtell said in a Facebook post Tuesday morning. “Last night was one of the most violent nights I have witnessed in my career. Three lives were lost, three families will never be the same and our community is waking to uncertainty and fear.”

Axtell said he’s meeting Tuesday morning with the police department’s top brass “to make sure all of our resources are aligned in an effort to apprehend those responsible and to prevent any further violence.”

Between Labor Day on Sept. 2, and early Tuesday, there were five homicides in St. Paul. At least nine people have been injured in shootings since Aug. 30.

Man dies in drive-by shooting – 12:15 a.m.The third fatal shooting was reported at 12:15 a.m., when police were called to Regions Hospital after two men turned up with gunshot wounds in a private vehicle.

“Its certainly possible,” said Steve Linders, a St. Paul police spokesman. “Its rare to see this type of violence in such a short period of time, so its possible theyre connected, but until we find the people responsible, we wont know for sure.

After a series of vehicle crashes at Edgerton Street and Case Avenue on Monday night, Dan Thompson’s neighbor came out of his residence to make sure everyone was OK.

That’s the kind of man he was, Thompson said of his neighbor, who leaves behind a wife and four young children.

“This good Samaritan … came out to help,” said Sgt. Mike Ernster, who is also a St. Paul police spokesman. “Unfortunately, he paid for it with his life, and our heart aches for his family.

Search Menu DepartmentsNews RoomConnectOpen for BusinessPermits & Licenses Government Mayors OfficeEmploymentCode and OrdinancesGetting AroundParks & Homicide investigation underway after a man is shot and killed on Rice Street A daytime shooting in Saint Pauls North End neighborhood has left a man dead, and investigators are looking for the person or people responsible.

About 10 p.m., officers were responding to a crash involving several vehicles when they heard that gunshots were fired.

Investigators note that there were approximately 30 people in the area immediately after the shooting—some of whom may have witnessed what happened. They are asking anyone with information about the case, with video of the shooting, or who knows who pulled the trigger to call the departments Homicide Unit at 651-266-5650.

Witnesses reported the suspect — identified by police as Lionel Eaton — was driving south on Edgerton when he rear-ended a vehicle in front of him. That vehicle’s female driver also was heading southbound.

The force of the collision caused the woman’s vehicle to cross into the northbound lane and strike a parked vehicle, Ernster said.

Eaton’s vehicle continued south on Edgerton and also struck a parked car on the northwest corner of Edgerton and Case.

Members of the police departments Homicide Unit are currently looking for and interviewing potential witnesses. The Forensic Services Unit is processing the scene for evidence. And so far no arrests have been made.

A man who lives on the block came out to try to help the people at the crash scene, Ernster said. Multiple 911 callers reported the driver — still in his vehicle — began shooting and fatally struck the man.

Thompson said he and others ran out of their homes when they heard the first shot. He ran toward his wounded neighbor and called out to him, but he could tell he “was gone immediately,” Thompson said.

The carnage began Monday afternoon when a man walking in the city’s North End was struck by shots fired from across the street. Later Monday, police were called to a car crash in the Payne-Phalen neighborhood where one of the drivers shot a man who came out of his home to help the crash victims. Homicide investigators were called a third time after two men shot in the Frogtown neighborhood arrived at Regions Hospital early Tuesday. One of the men died upon his arrival, St. Paul police said.

The man’s wife also tried to reach her husband, but Thompson was worried about the driver still being armed in the car.

Investigators were still looking for the gunman who fired shots that left an 18-year-old man dead Monday afternoon. Several 911 calls came in about 4:30 p.m. after shots rang out at Rice Street and Winnipeg Avenue. Paramedics arrived and found the man lying in a corner convenience store. He died at the scene despite the efforts of officers and paramedics to revive him, said police department spokesman Steve Linders.

Thompson held her back behind another vehicle and the driver started shooting again — Thompson said he heard five to six more shots. They ducked and police arrived soon after.

On Tuesday at 12:15 a.m., officers responded to Regions Hospital where two men who had been shot arrived in a private vehicle.

Tim Harlow covers traffic and transportation issues in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, and likes to get out of the office, even during rush hour. Harlow also covers general assignment and breaking news and weather. 

The driver was treated for injuries that weren’t life-threatening, but a front-seat passenger was pronounced dead. A back-seat passenger was uninjured.

As of 5 a.m. Tuesday, no one had been arrested in the latest murder and police were still working to determine if the fatal shooting was connected to the two others.

Investigators determined the men were in a vehicle at University Avenue and Marion Street when people in another vehicle encountered them and began firing at them, Linders said. Multiple bullets struck the car.

Taylor, who had a 5-year-old daughter, “was the best father,” said his mother, Milagro Rosario. She said she doesn’t understand why he was killed.

He wasnt into street stuff, so it makes it harder to accept this the way it is,” Rosario said.

Taylor’s older brother was the back-seat passenger who wasn’t injured, and their friend was driving. They were coming back from a friend’s surprise birthday party in South Minneapolis, Rosario said.

People take life for granted,” said Alfredo Rosario, Taylor’s uncle. “Its so easy to pull the trigger, but the consequences behind it … you leave a family suffering for what?

In addition to the three back-to-back homicides, police responded to seven confirmed reports of shots fired — with no one injured — in various parts of the city Monday and Tuesday.

Police said earlier Monday that at least 110 people have been wounded or killed by gunfire this year. There were 90 through the end of August last year. Related Articles Questions after police fatally shoot man who streamed chase Police say man, 71, pointed BB gun at youth playing tag by his St. Paul home; he says they terrorized the area Police investigate rush-hour shooting death on busy St. Paul street Charge: Hospitalized in St. Paul, fired water department employee said he planned to shoot co-workers in Minneapolis Man with lengthy criminal history charged with holding up Little Canada bank at gunpoint

Posted in Saint Paul