Catholic Dioceses in L.A., O.C. and San Bernardino Among 6 to Create Clergy Abuse Compensation Program – KTLA Los Angeles

Catholic Dioceses in L.A., O.C. and San Bernardino Among 6 to Create Clergy Abuse Compensation Program - KTLA Los Angeles
California Catholic dioceses to launch compensation fund for priest abuse survivors
Six California Catholic dioceses, including Sacramento and Fresno, will create a compensation program for victims sexually abused by priests as children.

The Independent Victims Compensation Program is intended to make it easier for victims to receive monetary compensation for abuse cases that may have occurred many years ago, and for victims fearful of pursuing their case in court.

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact webmaster@bakersfield.com or call (661) 395-7500.

As part of our effort to own and atone for the Churchs failure to protect children and young people abused by Catholic priests (the program will) provide material compensation for pain and suffering they have experienced because of their abuse, Bishop Jaime Soto of the Sacramento Diocese said in a statement.

We believe that the best way to expose wrongdoing and enforce accountability is for crimes to be made public and for punishment and compensation to be meted out by courts, not the institutions that allowed the wrongdoing to happen in the first place, the advocacy group said in its Tuesday statement.

The compensation program – which also includes the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, and the Dioceses of Orange, San Bernardino and San Diego – comes just weeks after the Sacramento Diocese released the identities of more than 40 priests credibly accused of sexually abusing about 130 victims in the last 70 years.

The program will be developed by two mediators, Kenneth Feinberg and Camille Biros, and will be overseen by a board. The oversight board members include former Gov. Gray Davis and Maria Contreras-Sweet, former administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration, the release said.

The program is independent from the Catholic church and will be run by attorneys Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille Biros of Washington, D.C., who will have complete autonomy to determine the eligibility of and compensation amounts for victims, said Sacramento Diocese spokesman Kevin Eckery.

The dioceses have agreed to approve Feinberg and Biros decisions and compensation awards, which are not subject to appeal, according to a press release from the group.

Those who accept compensation agree not to file lawsuits over abuse. They also can't have previously resolved a lawsuit over the same allegations. However, the program is open to those who are barred from suing by statutes of limitations because the abuse occurred too long ago. It also will be open to anyone whether or not they are in the country legally.

Its unclear how large the compensation awards, paid for by diocesan funds or insurance, will be. Settlement offers for other sex abuse cases tied to priests range from a few thousand dollars to the hundreds of thousands.

The program will be independently administered by Washington, D.C., attorneys Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille S. Biros and an oversight board that includes former California Gov. Gray Davis and Maria Contreras-Sweet, former administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration, according to a statement from Feinberg's firm.

Until we have a sense of how many victims come forward and what the range of damages is, we just dont have dollar figures, said Amy Weiss, a spokeswoman for Feinberg and Biros.

"We believe that the best way to expose wrongdoing and enforce accountability is for crimes to be made public and for punishment and compensation to be meted out by courts, not the institutions that allowed the wrongdoing to happen in the first place," the group said in a statement. 

Feinberg and Biros, two claims administration experts hired by California diocese leadership last November, run similar abuse compensation programs covering Catholic dioceses in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Colorado. Victims funds in New York and Pennsylvania have paid out a combined $250 million to date, Weiss said.

The program by the dioceses, all of which are located in California, will be managed by two independent monitors who have handled similar programs in New York and Pennsylvania, the Catholic archbishop of Los Angeles Jose Gomez said in a letter to worshipers.

Victims of priest abuse tied to the participating dioceses can file a claim, regardless of when the abuse occurred, through the programs website, which is still being finalized and has not been released yet.

According to California church officials, the program will be open to anybody who was abused by a priest as a minor, including people residing in the US illegally and those for whom the statute of limitations to prosecute their abuser has expired.

Video: Gulu archdiocese pilgrims set off to Namugongo on foot

The Sacramento Diocese expects the program to begin before the end of summer, Eckery said. The one-time settlements could be offered and completed within 90 days. There are no fees.

"We also understand that some victim-survivors are reluctant to come to the church for assistance. Our hope with this new program is to give these people a chance to seek redress and healing through an independent program."

The program does not include those abused by deacons, church employees or members of affiliated religious orders, such as Catholic schoolteachers or Jesuit brothers.

The program by the dioceses, all of which are located in California, will be managed by two independent monitors who have handled similar programs in New York and Pennsylvania, the Catholic archbishop of Los Angeles Jose Gomez said in a letter to worshipers.

Members of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, stated they appreciated the program, but urged victims to expose crimes to the public and pursue justice through courts, not the institutions that allowed the wrongdoing to happen in the first place.

Survivors deserve a chance to have their day in court and shed light on their abuse, and that can only happen when statutes of limitations are reformed, civil windows are opened, and bishops are held accountable in courts of law, SNAP stated in a press release Tuesday.

“We also understand that some victim-survivors are reluctant to come to the church for assistance. Our hope with this new program is to give these people a chance to seek redress and healing through an independent program.”

Accepting the compensation award through the program is, in effect, a settlement, Eckery said, meaning victims will not be able to sue for the same case. SNAP stated that the practice removes legal tools in the future that can compel dioceses to release information or correct misinformation.

Video: California Catholic dioceses will provide compensation for priest sex abuse survivors

California Catholic dioceses have paid close to $1.5 billion in settlements to thousands of abuse victims over the last 20 years.

No amount of money can make up for the evil done to victims of priestly sex abuse, Soto said in a statement. I acknowledge the pain that was caused, my shame and sorrow that it happened in the name of the Church, and my intention to help victim/survivors heal from that abuse.

Homepage Local Earthquakes Data Desk California Times OC California Journal Education Readers Representative Journal Local + L.A. Now Politics Business Company Town Autos Michael Hiltzik Consumer Confidential Business + Auto + Nation Politics Entertainment Arts & Culture Hero Complex Movies Television Music Gossip Envelope TV Listings Entertainment + Opinion Op-Ed Opinion L.A. Editorials Readers React Top of the Ticket Endorsements Food Sports Dodgers Lakers USC UCLA Clippers Rams Chargers Boxing & MMA High School Varsity Times Angels Kings Soccer Ducks Olympics MLB NBA NFL More Sports World Afghanistan & Pakistan Africa Asia Brazil Europe Mexico & The Americas Middle East Obituaries Real Estate Hot Property California Living Fashion Health & Wellness L.A. Affairs Pets Home & Garden Books Health + Living Plus + Technology Science Travel Cruises Mexico & Latin America Theme Parks Travel + Visuals Graphics L.A. Times en Español Sabor EEUU Entretenimiento Internacional México Política Vida y Estilo Deportes E-Newspaper Design LA Extras Find/Post a job Games Comics Shop Los Angeles Times Archives Los Angeles Times Store Los Angeles Times Photos Local Ads Marketplace About L.A. Times careers Press Releases Staff Directory Search xml:space=”preserve”> Local Politics Sports Entertainment Opinion L.A. Now Local 6 Catholic dioceses in California create compensation program for clergy abuse victims By City News Service May 14, 2019 | 7:50 PM A cross atop the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange is reflected in the former Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove. (Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times) Six Catholic dioceses across California, including Los Angeles and Orange, said Tuesday that they had joined together to create a compensation program that would be available to victims of clergy sexual abuse as an alternative to suing the church.


Posted in SanBernardino