Firefighters Battle Large Blaze at Stockton Recycling Center

Firefighters Battle Large Blaze at Stockton Recycling Center
Firefighters battled for over 15 hours to control trash fire at Southern Recycling: NOFD
Joe Goldeen Record Staff Writer @JoeGoldeen STOCKTON — A raging, smoky fire brought out six engines and three trucks to put out a two-alarm blaze Monday evening in east Stockton.

The fire at the East Stockton Transfer Recycling Station, 2435 E. Weber Ave. at Filbert Street, apparently started in a Dumpster and spread to highly flammable materials including cardboard, paper, plastic, wood and clothing, according to a Stockton Fire Department spokesman.

The fire was reported about 6:15 p.m. It sent up thick dark plumes of smoke over the eastern portions of the city and cut visibility to zero on nearby Filbert Street. Traffic in the area just north of the Crosstown Freeway was blocked to allow fire crews to access the area.

Due to the material that was burning, including tightly packed cardboard, the fire proved stubborn and took a massive amount of water to bring under control. Crews used large equipment loaders to separate the material, allowing firefighters to dump water on it to put out hot spots.

New Orleans Firefighters Battle Trash Fire for Over 15 Hours

The Fire Department reported there were no injuries to either civilians or firefighters.

This is the fourth multiple-alarm fire that Stockton firefighters have responded to in less than a week.

Contact reporter Joe Goldeen at (209) 546-8278 or Follow him at and on Twitter @JoeGoldeen.

A second fire in two weeks broke out at EMC Southern Recycling in the Lower 9th Ward on Sunday night (March 11), and firefighters were still battling the flames over 15 hours later, according to New Orleans Fire Department Captain Edwin Holmes. The fire wasnt reported to be under control until 12:49 p.m. Monday

Holmes said the three-alarm fire was reported at 9:10 p.m. Sunday, and a second alarm was called at 9:54 p.m. “due to the lack of water supply,” according to a Fire Department press release. The Fire Boat Kelly was dispatched to the Coastal Waterway to assist in pumping water onto the fire. The third alarm was called nearly an hour after the second.

At the peak of the blaze, Holmes said, there were 19 units and 56 personnel on the scene. 

No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

A one-alarm fire was reported at the recycling plant two weeks earlier, on Feb. 25. Holmes said then the black smoke billowing from the fire was mainly coming from burning foam from the interior of scrapped cars. 

Officials from Southern Recycling did not immediately return requests for comment Monday morning.

Posted in Stockton