Turks tell US officials they have audio and video recordings that support conclusion Khashoggi was killed

Turks tell US officials they have audio and video recordings that support conclusion Khashoggi was killed
Turkish Officials Cite Audio and Video Evidence in Khashoggi Killing
ANKARA, Turkey — Turkish authorities say they have explicit audio recordings as well as video footage showing that Saudi agents killed the dissident Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, according to two people the Turks have briefed on their findings.

Such material, if made public, could transform the unfolding standoff between Turkey and Saudi Arabia over the disappearance of Mr. Khashoggi, a legal resident of the United States and a Washington Post columnist well known among Western journalists and diplomats.

A former chief of a semiofficial Turkish news agency who is still close to the government, Kemal Ozturk, spoke publicly about a video earlier this week.

The Post, citing United States and Turkish government officials, reported late Thursday night that the Turks have briefed their counterparts in the American government about those materials.

Mr. Khashoggi was last seen walking into the Saudi Consulate about 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 2, when Turkish security cameras recorded his entrance. His fiancée, who was waiting outside, said he never emerged.

Officials of Saudi Arabia, including its dominant leader, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, say they have no knowledge of Mr. Khashoggis whereabouts. Without producing evidence, they say he left the consulate shortly after he arrived.

But other Turkish officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the unfolding investigation, have describing a gory killing in graphic detail that appears to come from recordings obtained through surveillance or intercepted communications.

Those Turkish officials have said that 15 Saudi agents arrived in Istanbul that day on a mission to assassinate Mr. Khashoggi, that they killed him within two hours and then dismembered his body in order to remove it. The Turks say the Saudis brought a bone saw and a doctor of forensic medicine to dismember the body.

One of the people briefed about the audio and video material described them to The New York Times last Saturday, and a second person with knowledge of the material described them late Thursday night.

President Trump, other American officials and lawmakers of both parties have viewed the Turkish allegations with a growing degree of credibility in recent days.

The Prince and the President: Khashoggi Case Raises Saudi-Turkey TensionsOct. 11, 2018ImageMore in EuropePresidency Press Service, via Associated PressTurkey, Hurricane, Fracking: Your Friday BriefingZoran Marinovic for The New York TimesFor China, a Bridge Over the Adriatic Is a Road Into EuropeColección Helga de Alvear, MadridHelena Almeida, Experimental Portuguese Artist, Dies at 84Bernd Wstneck/Picture-Alliance, via Associated PressFar-Right Party Urges German Students to Denounce Biased TeachersMarco Bertorello/Agence France-Presse — Getty ImagesGeraint Thomas Urges Thieves to Return His Tour de France TrophyMads Claus Rasmussen/EPA, via ShutterstockDanish Welfare Agency Worker Is Accused of Stealing $17 MillionTrendingTrapped by the Walmart of HeroinHurricane Michaels Deadly Strike Leaves Florida Panhandle ReelingOpinion: Goodbye, Political Spin, Hello Blatant LiesThis is 18 Around the World — Through Girls EyesKanye Wests White House Rant Steals the Spotlight From TrumpTrump Attacks the Fed as Stocks Fall and the Midterms LoomMatthew Shepard Will Be Interred at the Washington National Cathedral, 20 Years After His DeathTrump Calls Relations With Saudi Arabia Excellent, While Congress Is IncensedHurricane Michael: The Damage in PicturesThis Little Girls Seizures Wont Stop. Her Parents Need Your Advice.Advertisement

The new European data protection law requires us to inform you of the following before you use our website:


Posted in World